Sunday 6 September 2020

Signature Silhouette #9 ~ My Granny, Annie (Byrne) Wynne

For many of my ancestors, we have no photographs, no treasured heirlooms, not even a funeral card to remember them by. But of those who could read and write, a few left their signatures behind. They often signed historical census returns, for example, copies of which still survive. Their signature may be all that remains of them today. So, it's my intention to publish a Signature Silhouette for each ancestor, until they are all are preserved.

Here's one for my grandmother, Annie (Byrne) Wynne:-

Annie (Byrne) Wynne (1910-1983)

My maternal grandmother was the only one of my grandparents who I knew in life, as opposed to in genealogy. Here is an example of her 'signature' when she was writing to her granddaughter.


Sources:
Idea courtesy of Cathy Meder-Dempsey at Opening Doors in Brick Walls.

Source of signature: Last will and testament of Annie Wynne, Dublin, dated 16 March 1983, National Archives of Ireland.

2 comments:

  1. It's a great idea, especially for those without known photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michael, it is, not that I can claim credit for the idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!