Sunday 22 November 2020

A little research victory, with the help of an angel

This week, I received a copy of my great-great-great-grandmother’s death certificate. Jane Byrne died in Brooklyn, New York on 28 December 1901. A few years ago, I found a transcription of this death certificate. It revealed the names of Jane’s parents, William and Hannah Daly. Not wishing to rely on a transcription for this key information, I ‘needed’ to see a copy of the original certificate!

Jane (Daly) Byrne’s connection to my grandmother

Except it proved way too difficult to obtain from the New York authorities. And, having confirmed the name of Jane's parents with records back in Dublin, I reluctantly gave up on ever seeing the actual death certificate. Now, the document is said to be freely available at a Family History Centre (FHC) run by the Mormon Church. Only there is no FHC near me, at least not one that is seemingly ever manned.

Cue the ‘Parking-Lot Angels’ (they’d be called ‘Car-Park Angels’ in Ireland).

Blogging pal, Marian from ‘Climbing my Family Tree', introduced them, recounting how they helped her obtain a relative’s death certificate. Marian gave me the name of the Facebook group, New York City Genealogy, where the angel volunteers hang out, and explained they go to the 'parking lot' of their local FHC where they download records over wifi. Remember, the FHCs are all currently closed, due to Covid.

I joined the Facebook group and provided the information requested, and the very next day I received a copy of Jane Byrne’s death certificate. Simples!

The death certificate confirmed the details given in the transcription. In addition, the cause of death showed Jane got Pleurisy, which led to Pneumonia, which caused heart failure nine months later.


I am so grateful to these volunteer angels for their help!

Now, I wonder if records can be accessed from the car-park at the FHC opposite Glasnevin Cemetery, in Dublin, even if no one ever works there. Anyone?

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is so exciting. Nothing better in life than a genealogy angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, that's true, a gift of family history.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Dara, so happy the parking lot (AKA 'car-park') angels were able to obtain this document so you could read it for yourself! These volunteers are truly angels for taking the time to help with our genealogy research when we can't get to a FHC in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thank you again for introducing them to me, Marian. I won't be greedy, but will bear them in mind for the future.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful! I'm only too familiar with the trials of trying to get a certificate from NY, I'm so glad you found a way around them. We have a group over here called Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness, RAOGK for short. They are angels too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ellie, the RAOGK group sounds so cool. How do they work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on finally getting your hands on the record. Such a shame that New York makes it so ridiculously difficult to obtain your family's record. I think this is something that Reclaim the Records is fighting against.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!