Sunday 26 August 2018

Genealogy blogging - a win-win-win!

Our ancestors regularly swapped photographs with family and friends, and the descendants of those relatives often still have the pictures in their possession today. Genealogy blogging creates a unique opportunity to reconnect with the current custodians of these family photos, which is especially rewarding when few mementos have survived in our direct line.

This was true for me earlier this month, as mentioned here, when, not only was I able to identify Barney O'Connor, the subject of one of our 'orphan' photos, but, much to her delight, I was able to return it to his daughter. A win-win outcome! But, that's not the end of the story. Marie, my granduncle's step-granddaughter, also had some of our family photographs in her collection.

We had the first picture, on the left, below. It once belonged to my paternal grandmother, Lena O'Neill. Lena never recorded the names on the back of her photographs. She merely wrote 'snapped by L. O'Neill', which is lovely, though not always particularly helpful. But, we know this picture is of Lena's sister Joanna (Joan) O'Neill, with Joan's husband Jack Lockhead, and their new-born daughter, Mary Agnes (May) Lockhead. May was born in Liverpool, England, on 12 August 1926, confirming, with reasonable accuracy, when and where this picture was taken. It also places my Granny in Liverpool at that time.

And, Marie sent me the second picture, on the right. Both photographs were obviously taken on the same day. Joan is wearing the same clothes and holding the baby in the same pose, and both pictures are taken in front of the same house. Except, Marie's picture also includes my Granny Lena (far right). The back of the photograph, which Marie originally received from Joan and Lena's niece, reads 'Lena & Joanna, in Liverpool, with neighbours'.

Jack, Joan and May Lockhead, 
Liverpool, 1926
Joan & May Lockhead, Lena O’Neill, 
with neighbours in Liverpool, 1926

Hardly any pictures of my Granny Lena have been passed down in our family. This one possibly represents the years she spent working in England, before her marriage. It's wonderful to have it. Thank you again, Marie.

So, isn't that just a win-win-win! 

22 comments:

  1. Congrats, Dara! Isn't blogging awesome?! A couple of days ago I heard from a descendant of baby Fay who was featured in my Old Photographs Saved from Trash Can series. Fay died young but had a daughter who continued the line. It is the only picture she has ever seen of her great-great-grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is so exciting to meet long-lost cousins, especially when they share never-before-seen pictures of our ancestors. It is the very best reward received from blogging.

      Delete
  2. Dara, I think I'd put caps at the beginning of each of the "wins," above. What a treasure to be given this photo. It's interesting how different the coloring is on these two photos is considering that they were taken at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, my Granny's picture was probably printed in 1926, shortly after it was taken, but Marie's looks like a recent reprint, so the image may have been enhanced for clarity. You're right I should have written 'Win-Win-Win!!!'

      Delete
  3. I agree with Cathy. Blogging is wonderful. So glad you got that second photo. I too have had similar moments because of connections resulting from a blog post or even a correction sent to me on FindAGrave, leading to a 3rd cousin connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I have not yet 'met' any relatives through FindAGrave, probably because few of my ancestors ever erected tombstones, but I've met a fair few people through my blog. It is wonderful! Thank you for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  4. What a great score, Dara! I love reading stories of blogging WINS, especially when they concern photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great to make those connections. When they come with old photos, even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, connecting with old cousins is one of the primary reasons why I blog.

      Delete
  6. & adding (not too big, not too small) pics to your blog is a good thing, too, because they can easily be tweeted around with to spread the info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan, I've not taken up tweeting yet, though I hear it's great; maybe someday, if time allows.

      Delete
  7. I greatly enjoyed your winning post! I'm always on the lookout for blogging strategies to connect with cousins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz, wishing you much success connecting with your cousins. :-)

      Delete
  8. Such a satisfying win for you both! I love hearing how particular family stories have been passed down differently in different branches of the family, and it's even better when those old family photos are involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was especially rewarding to see how both photographs enhanced the same story.

      Delete
  9. What luck for you both! I've been chasing some photographs passed down to a different branch of the family. Strangely enough, it's through an O'Connor connection on my blog too! I have a 2007 email from the gentleman who wrote that he had the photos. He's now in his 80s and doesn't remember that he has any photos! I'm hoping he'll go looking and I can have a great ending like yours!

    Sue (KindredPast)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a coincidence, Sue, I do hope copies of those photographs find their way to you!

      Delete
  10. It's not just cousin-baiting, it's cousin connecting! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulation on your success in making contact with cousins. I know the excitement and pleasure to be gained from sharing photographs. As a result of my blog, a third cousin in the USA contacted me and sent me wonderful material of a branch of the family that I knew nothing about. Another third cousin turned out to live only 50 miles away, so we were able to meet easily and exchange our family stories. Both new cousins were happy for me to,use their photographs on my blog and write up their research findings - so a great boost to my blog, just at a time when I felt I was coming to an end with my own material. So as you say, win-win all round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I also feel like I'm running out of stories to share, and my blog has definitely started to slow down, but somehow, so far, something new always comes up. It's a real delight to share these new family photos.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!