Sunday 26 January 2020

My DNA Ancestor Score ~ a new way to track my progress

Happy New Year!

Ok, maybe the year is not that new anymore, but this is my first post in a while. I’m still actively researching our genealogy, just not uncovering quite as many exciting new ancestor stories as before.

Bear in mind, I’ve probably already gathered all the low hanging fruit and there may only be one or two more direct ancestors left to be harvested on our family tree. They appear out of reach at the moment, at the very top, with no discernible way of getting to them. Someday, maybe they’ll fall.

Do you remember my Ancestor Scorecard? Here's the position at the end of 2016, when only 50% of my ancestors to fourth great-grandparent level had been identified. Well, in the past three years, not one single person has been added to the score. And, it’s not for lack of trying.

Ancestor Scorecard *

Today, often my genealogy research revolves around identifying DNA matches, i.e. those cousins we share DNA with, and then documenting their branch in my tree. I meet some amazing ‘living’ cousins along the way, and even got to help one fourth cousin, adopted at birth, nail her biological father down to one of three brothers. These genetic cousins all have fascinating stories to tell, but this blog is about my long-deceased relatives.

Now, I've come up with a new way of measuring my genealogy progress - by keeping track a DNA Ancestor score. This calculates how many ancestors, to fourth great-grandparent level, have been ‘proven’ by DNA. Three years ago the score would have been close to zero. Here's that score now.

DNA Ancestor Scorecard **

Currently, the score shows 30% of my ancestors are 'proven' by DNA, not too bad considering I've only identified 50% of them. This is a score that will undoubtedly rise over time, especially now the DNA companies are beginning to deliver some ‘close-cousin' DNA matches. Plus, the results of the Christmas sales of DNA tests are due in shortly.

Hopefully, soon, my genetic cousins will help increase the Identified Ancestor score as well.

* Ancestor Scorecard, idea courtesy of 'Family History All Done? What’s Your Number?', Ancestry blog, 16 August 2012.

** A DNA Ancestor is deemed to be the common ancestor (or ancestral couple), shared with at least one DNA match, if we both descend from different children of that common ancestor (or ancestral couple). My direct ancestors on the path to the common ancestor (or ancestral couple) also qualify as DNA Ancestors. And, all common ancestors are documented by conventional genealogy methods.

20 comments:

  1. Interesting concept, Dara. I find it amazing that the DNA matches I have actually confirm the lines I have researched. I'm pretty sure I have enough matches through 3 other children to prove a 4th great-grandfather who isn't on paper. I might steal the idea and add possible DNA score to my Ancestor Score on Valentine's Day. Nice to see you writing again, Dara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, it is comforting and maybe even a little exhilarating when DNA matches agree with the paper trail! and, I'd love to see your DNA score.

      Delete
  2. This is an interesting way of interpreting DNA results. I get excited when DNA confirms my research is correct Visiting from #geneabloggerstribe Sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also LOVE figuring out where our DNA matches fit on the family tree.

      Delete
  3. This is a fun way to look at progress, Dara. I do still have a blank wall in one line but so far my DNA results do confirm my genealogy documentary research. And I have been in touch with 'new to us' relatives which is the nicest part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally, meeting new cousins is really great.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful job Dara! We all get to that point where there's not much new to blog about, I'm glad to see you're not discouraged by it. Happy New Year to you, may many great finds be coming in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is thrilling when the DNA matches our findings! And I love connecting with cousins too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on getting closer to confirming some of your ancestors! Your scorecard progress must feel like bringing home a school report card with steadily increasing grades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does a little, Molly. I see people with deep ancestral roots doing charts back 8 or 10 generations, and I feel I should be doing better LOL!

      Delete
  7. Dara, this is a wonderful idea! I happen to have a blank pad of paper sitting next to me as I write this. I think that I will be making my own charts ver, very soon here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Diane, thanks, let me know your score.

      Delete
  8. Also enjoy researching all my DNA matches to discover our common ancestor! Thanks for writing about this approach to reflecting on the successes of these efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a good tool that I'd like to borrow and see if I can leverage my DNA matches to help break through my 20+ year brick wall. Thanks Dara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome to borrow it Mary, interested in hearing how you get on.

      Delete
  10. This looks a really great tool I need to have a look at doing something like this myself

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!