Sunday 24 May 2020

Signature Silhouette #6 ~ John Radcliffe

For many of my ancestors, there are no photographs, no treasured heirlooms, not even a funeral card to remember them by. But of those who could read and write, a few left their signatures behind. They often signed historical census returns, for example, copies of which still survive. Apart from descendants, their signature may be all that remains of them today. So, it's my intention to feature a Signature Silhouette for each of my ancestors, until they are all are preserved.

Here's one for my maternal third great grandfather, John Radcliffe (1827-1866). It's from the register of his second marriage, in Melbourne, Australia. It's dated 1861, and just might be the oldest signature so far found, of all my ancestors.



Sources:
Idea for post courtesy of Cathy Meder-Dempsey at Opening Doors in Brick Walls.

Source of signature: Copy marriage register, John Radcliffe and Bridget Flanagan, 1861, no. 486, purchased from Births, marriages and deaths, Victoria, Australia.

2 comments:

  1. Still loving this idea. As soon as the office staff at St. Felix's gets back to work I've been promised the signature of my great-great-grandfather from Ricketstown--next to Ballyraggan, that is in their records!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Ellie. so exciting.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!