Sunday 30 May 2021

Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here (re: readers on email)

Google provides the platform I use for this blog and towards the end of April, they sent me the following message:
'You are receiving this information because your blog uses the FollowByEmail widget (FeedBurner). Recently, the FeedBurner team released a system update announcement, that the email subscription service will be discontinued in July 2021. After July 2021, your feed will still continue to work, but the automated emails to your subscribers will no longer be supported. If you’d like to continue sending emails, you can download your subscriber contacts.'
But, in typical Google fashion, they didn't provide an alternative solution. This is an issue for anyone who wants to continue to receive emails with posts from Black Raven Genealogy. No other blog readers are effected, as far as I am aware.

I've identified another service that should meet our requirements. It's called Mailchimp. According to the blurb, 'Mailchimp is an American marketing automation platform and email marketing service'. It's way more complicated than Feedburner, but it's free (for small users like me).

Anyway, I intend to use the Google offer to download the email addresses for the readers who signed up to receive posts by email, and then upload these addresses into my new account at Mailchimp. So, email readers will automatically be added to the new distribution list. I'd like it to be a seamless transfer, but cannot guarantee it. Please bear with me as I sort out any teething problems.

I've linked Mailchimp back to the Black Raven Genealogy blog. Emails will look a bit different than what you’ve received up until now, but you can check they've come from me, as the content will match what is posted on the blog, here.

If, for any reason, you would prefer not to transfer to Mailchimp, all you have to do is click on the 'Unsubscribe now' link at the bottom of this email, and your subscription will be cancelled. Or, drop me a line at blackraven.genealogy@gmail.com and I will cancel it for you. This will mean no more posts from Black Raven Genealogy and I'll be sorry to see you go.



You don't need to do anything if you wish to continue receiving posts. And, you can always change your mind in the future. Emails delivered by Mailchimp will also have an 'Unsubscribe' link at the bottom.

The post you receive next week will probably be delivered by Mailchimp. If you experience any issues or irritations with it, please let me know, by return. Apologies in advance for any hiccups we may encounter along the way. Thank you for your support.

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you luck with this transition! Looking forward to seeing how it works. I'm still considering alternatives to Feedburner, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Marian, hopefully it will be fine.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!