Sunday 8 March 2020

Signature Silhouette #3 ~ John Wynne

For many of my ancestors, we have no photographs, no treasured heirlooms, not even a funeral card to remember them by. But of those who could read and write, a few left their signatures behind. They often signed historical census returns etc., copies of which still survive. This signature may be all that remains of them today. So, this year, it's my intention to feature a Signature Silhouette for at least one ancestor a month, until they are all are preserved.

Here's one for my maternal great-great-grandfather, John Wynne:-

John Wynne (c.1821-1911)


Sources:
Idea courtesy of Cathy Meder-Dempsey at Opening Doors in Brick Walls.

Source of signature: 1901 Census of Ireland, Wynne household, Upper Ormond Quay, North City, Dublin, The National Archives of Ireland.


*******

Please follow my recently activated Twitter account
@DaraMcgivern


13 comments:

  1. Love this, been thinking about how preserve them...thank you for sharing 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. Partly, it's a way of preserving picture memories of my ancestors, as few photographs have survived.

      Delete
  2. Very clever, I may have to copy you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dara, I love this idea! Are you doing this on the blog only, or have you made a hard copy as a keepsake, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, mo hard copies yet, but I am saving each one as my ancestor's profile picture on Ancestry, and hope they'll be shared far and wide.

      Delete
  4. Now I want to look back at some of my ancestors' signatures. John's is so neat. My ancestors' signatures always seem to border on illegible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, they all have lovely signatures, well the few that I've found so far do, but they're all relatively recent. Stay well, Wendy.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!