Sunday 4 October 2020

Signature Silhouette #10 ~ Francis Byrne

For many of my ancestors, we have no photographs, no treasured heirlooms, not even a funeral card to remember them by. But of those who could read and write, a few left their signatures behind. They often signed historical census returns, for example, copies of which still survive. Their signature may be all that remains of them today. So, it's my intention to feature a Signature Silhouette for one ancestor, here, until they are all are preserved.

Here's one for my maternal great-great-grandfather, Francis Byrne:-

Francis Byrne (c.1853-1912)


Sources:
Idea courtesy of Cathy Meder-Dempsey at Opening Doors in Brick Walls.

Source of signature: 1911 Census of Ireland, Francis Byrne household, Jane Place Lower, North Dock, Dublin,The National Archives of Ireland.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea. I love finding signatures of my ancestors. And have often wondered how to organize/keep them.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!