Saturday 24 April 2021

A to Z April Challenge: U is for John Hynes (Unfound)

Genealogists always want to know where their ancestors are buried. It’s not just to see what else they might learn from their gravesites. It’s more than that. It’s a need to connect with them, to know they’re ‘at peace’. Many countless hours are spent seeking out their final resting places, so, to help ensure they're not forgotten again, I'm creating a virtual graveyard, incorporating a memorial for each one. U is for Unfound - John Hynes, my maternal great-great-great-grandfather, grave unfound.

John Hynes
Birth: Abt. 1800

Ireland
Death:Date Unknown
Place Unknown, maybe Limerick
Burial: Unknown, maybe Limerick


John Hynes was last found named in the marriage register of his daughter Catherine, in 1859. He then had an address in 'Limerick city', although it is not entirely clear that he was still alive at this time. His wife may have already moved to Dublin by 1850, when she was Godmother to her granddaughter, Margaret Mary Wynne. John does not share a grave with his wife, nor with either of his children Catherine or Bridget, in Dublin. Perhaps he was buried in Limerick.

Links to memorials of immediate family members:
Spouse: Margaret (Hayes) Hynes (c. 1808-1884, m. 1826)
Daughter: Mary Anne (Hynes) Rodoreda (c. 1828-1881)
Daughter:Bridget (Hynes) Wynne (1830-1895)
Daughter: Catherine (Hynes) Tucker (c. 1832-1905)
Son: John Hynes (1833-Unknown)
Son: Edward Hynes (1835-Unknown)

My intention is to create a virtual graveyard with a memorial for each of my ancestors. The category 'Theme: Virtual Graveyard', seen on the right, is the graveyard gate. Clicking here, you enter my graveyard. You can visit each grave, irrespective of where in the world they are physically located.

Links for my direct ancestors above are, or will be, to their memorial in the 'virtual graveyard' at Black Raven Genealogy. Links for members of their immediate family are to a memorial at Find A Grave, if one has been created. Find A Grave is an online collection of gravesites and memorials from around the world.



The 'A to Z April Challenge' - 26 blog posts, in 26 days, with 26 letters of the alphabet, and one post dedicated to each letter.

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant choice for a family history blog. Unknown! How many unknowns do I have in my family tree. Too many. All the best with changing your unknowns to knowns dear Dara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alex, never say never!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two really frustrating “Unfounds”. One is relatively recent...the burial place of my great grandfather in Glasgow. Despite searching all the cemetery records I could find at the Mitchell Library...nada, nil, nothing. Not in the newspaper either.
    My other Unfound is my disappearing 2xgreat grandfather James Sherry aka McSharry. Likely born 1830-1850, he’s got to dead and buried but where and when?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect James is probably dead and buried by now, hopefully someday you'll trace the last days of his life. Did you check under Cherry? So many 'Unfounds' left for me too, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!