Friday 30 April 2021

A to Z April Challenge: Z is for Zilch

Genealogists always want to know where their ancestors are buried. It’s not just to see what else they might learn from their gravesites. It’s more than that. It’s a need to connect with them, to know they’re ‘at peace’. Many countless hours are spent seeking out their final resting places, so, to help ensure they're not forgotten again, I'm creating a virtual graveyard, incorporating a memorial for each one. Z is for Zilch. I got Zilch! No Zees, Zero Zeds, Zippo, Zip!

Seriously though, not one single name in my (Irish!) family tree starts with the letter Z. Not surprising really - there is no Z in the Irish alphabet. The only potential candidate might have been EliZbeth (Mahon) Byrne, my paternal great-grandmother, who was born in 1869 and died in 1903, in Malahide, Co. Dublin. She at least had a Z in her name. But it's a stretch. Also, she was known as Bessie. Zounds!

Plus, I'm not sure where Elizabeth was buried. Family lore suggests she's in St David's in Kilsallaghan. Co. Dublin, but I believe that's doubtful. I suspect she was buried in the Abbey Graveyard at Malahide Castle, where her husband, Michael Byrne, subsequently followed, except they have no headstone, and there's nothing to support the theory Elizabeth was buried there either.

So I've Zilch, no Zees, Zero Zeds, Zippo, Zip... and just as we reached our Zenith too.

The 'A to Z April Challenge' - 26 blog posts, in 26 days, with 26 letters of the alphabet, and one post dedicated to each letter.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing the challenge. Some letters definitely tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne, yes and I've noticed they make for some interesting posts in this challenge too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 26 posts in 26 days is a great accomplishment. Now, take a breath. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Colleen, I don't think I'll try that again :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finishing is the name of the game, Dara. Congratulations on making it to Z. My McKeough ancestors emigrated from Cork Ireland in the mid-1800s to Quebec, Canada and then down to Wisconsin so a trip to Ireland is in my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail, yes, finishing is he name of the game. I hope the world opens up and you get the chance to travel soon.

      Delete
  6. But you got to the end, and given the difficulty of Z I'd accept Elizabeth ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I would have too, if I knew where she was buried! ;)

      Delete
  7. No Z in the alphabet? How is that even possible? What word did the Irish have for Zoo or Zebra or Zipper? How did you know you reached the end of the alphabet if there was no Z? HA HA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were only 20 letters in Irish when I was at school, I think you knew you'd reached the end at U. ;) I'd say a Zebra, for example, was some kind of horse, as is a capall - but I cannot remember.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!