Friday 2 April 2021

A to Z April Challenge: B is for James Byrne

Genealogists always want to know where their ancestors are buried. It’s not just to see what else they might learn from their gravesites. It’s more than that. It’s a need to connect with them, to know they’re ‘at peace’. Many countless hours are spent seeking out their final resting place, so to help ensure they're not forgotten again, I'm creating a virtual graveyard, incorporating a memorial for each one. B is for Byrne - James Byrne, my paternal grandfather.

James Byrne
Birth:25 July 1893

Black Raven, Yellow Walls, Malahide, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Death:22 December 1964 (aged 71 years)
Black Raven, Yellow Walls, Malahide, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Burial: 24 December 1964
Yellow Walls Cemetery,

Yellow Walls Road, Malahide, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Plot: E 939
Linked to:     Memorial at Find a Grave

Graveyard:

Headstone:
IHS ¦ In loving memory ¦ of ¦ HELENA BYRNE ¦ Blackraven, Yellow Walls, ¦ Malahide ¦ who died 27th October 1956 ¦ her husband JAMES ¦ who died 22nd December 1964 ¦ their grandson SÉAMUS (SÉ) ¦ who died 30th March 2013 ¦ Erected by her loving husband.
James shares his grave with his wife Lena, his grandson, my little brother, Séamus Byrne who died in 2013, and with his son, my Dad, Michael Byrne, who died in 2015.

Memorial Card:

Funeral notice:
Sunday Independent, 23 December 1964, p. 12
BYRNE (Malahide)-Dec. 22, 1964, at his residence, "Black Raven", Yellow Walls, James, deeply regretted by his sorrowing son, daughter, brother, sister, relatives and  friends. R.I.P. Remains arriving St. Sylvester's Church, Malahide, this (Wednesday) evening at 6 o'c. Funeral to-morrow (Thursday) after 10 o'c Mass to New Cemetery.
Burial register:
Burial register excerpt, Malahide (Yellow Walls) Cemetery, Buried in Fingal
(click to enlarge)


Links to memorials of immediate family members:
Spouse:   Lena (O'Neill) Byrne (1895-1956, m. 1934)
Son:Michael Christopher Byrne (1937-2015)
Father:     
Michael Christopher Byrne (1867-1927)
Mother:Elizabeth (Mahon) Byrne (1869-1903)
Brother:John Christopher Byrne (1894-1972)             
Sister:Margaret (Byrne) Dignam (1897-1982)
Brother: Michael Byrne (1899- abt. 1963)

My intention is to create a virtual graveyard with a memorial for each ancestors. The category 'Theme: Virtual Graveyard', seen on the right, is the graveyard gate. Clicking here, you enter my graveyard. You can then visit each grave, irrespective of where in the world they are physically located.

Links for my direct ancestors above are, or will be, to their memorial in the 'virtual graveyard' at Black Raven Genealogy. Links for members of their immediate family are to a memorial at Find A Grave, if one has been created. Find A Grave is an online collection of gravesites and memorials from around the world.



The 'A to Z April Challenge' - 26 blog posts, in 26 days, with 26 letters of the alphabet, and one post dedicated to each letter.

8 comments:

  1. That looks like a nice, peaceful graveyard.

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - The Great War

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and often windy and cold like many graveyards are, even in summer.

      Delete
  2. A lovely graveyard. Those stones are unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I love how they left the marigolds self-seed and grow everywhere.

      Delete
  3. Dara - you are one clever woman. What a brilliant idea. I have set up a page on my blog that just has cemeteries listed in a kind of geographical order so that if I'm travelling I can check who's buried where. But I really really like your idea. You've reminded me how many records potentially exist for someone's burial and that I should leave no record unturned as it were. I may have to "steal" your idea and build my own virtual graveyard. It's a splendid idea. Thank you for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex, I’ll have to prepare an index, listing for each graveyard, the plot coordinates of each grave, to make it easy to visit each one, whenever we find ourselves at that graveyard.

      Delete
  4. I can see that I'm going to learn lots about Irish cemeteries from your posts, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you learn something useful, Jill.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!